This summer, Apple is scheduled to release Mac OS X 10.7, Lion. Due to certain changes in the Mac operating system, StarCraft, StarCraft: Brood War, Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction will not run on Mac OS X 10.7. While these titles should still technically be able to operate under Boot Camp, we will not be able to provide support for these titles running on Mac OS X 10.7. For more information about Mac Boot Camp, please see Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
We will continue to offer support for these titles running on Mac OS X 10.6 and below.
At this time, we expect Warcraft III to run on Mac OS X 10.7. However, the updater that we use to apply patches does not work on Mac OS X 10.7 natively, so while a patched-up version of the game will work, you will be unable to patch up to the latest version of the game when running Mac OS X 10.7. We don't currently have a timeline available for when we may be able to release updated patches with a compatible Updater program.
We’ll have more details for our Mac community as Lion's release date draws nearer.
Well, thanks for the info, Bashiok, but what you said here is just sad for Mac users. I mean, if Macs are the only computer operating systems out there per se by imagination, this would literally state that "we Blizzard Entertainment will not care about Warcraft III anymore and just let it die down overtime because of the issue".
Surely, I don't think I should blame you guys for this on the major level, only a little bit for getting tired trying to work on Warcraft III and Starcraft I because of those Mac patches. I believe that it is just tiring to make new problems and I'm sure it could be a hassle for most people. But still... it could be done if trying hard enough.
But at this rate, Warcraft III will feel getting older and eventually will be left out, like Starcraft I... And I like to play Warcraft III.
I'm just doing what I'm doing for fun, that's all... It doesn't matter if all doesn't care for the matter at all... And I used to like my bike while wearing some nikes on my feet, and to ride...
Please Blizzard, can you work on a native installer for Mac OS X Lion? I've recently bought the game without knowing that it's no longer available on Mac OS X 10.7. It's just a matter of new installation method so it shouldn't take long for you to work on that. I would appreciate your effort!
Hi, i am not new to Warcraft III, but i am new to it on mac. and when i bought this game again for my mac i looked on the back and it said it was mac compatible. However, when i go online my mac is not compatible with all of Warcraft III. So i was wondering if i spent money to have my computer crash when i click on something?
Q u o t e: Hi, i am not new to Warcraft III, but i am new to it on mac. and when i bought this game again for my mac i looked on the back and it said it was mac compatible. However, when i go online my mac is not compatible with all of Warcraft III. So i was wondering if i spent money to have my computer crash when i click on something?
I like wineskin. allows me to keep my OS X mouse settings.
http:// wineskin . urgesoftware . com
1) find and download "wineskin winery"
2) use it to install an engine ( 1.1.44 or newest )
3) create a blank wrapper ( it uses the engine you choose ). the wrapper itself can be the latest version. ( 2.5.8 atm. )
4) close wineskin winery
5) open the wrapper, install war3 in it etc.
- to disable the intromovie, which crashes the game, if your system can't handle it, go regedit HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Warcraft III/Misc & add a DWORD "seenintromovie" with the value 1. I believe some people rename their movies folder too
- sometimes there's a bug where clicking the minimap drags your mouse cursor to the corner of it, meaning you can't properly use the minimap. to get rid of this, I change resolution & back in the game options.
- if you start the game with fullscreen, you can put it in the background & back fullscreen with cmd+alt+a. this doesn't work if you didn't start with fullscreen.
- by default cinematics are 800x600 & don't stretch fullscreen. to fix this open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Warcraft III/Video/ & modify cinematicheight & cinematicwidth to what you like and set "cinematicoverrides" from 0 to 1.
- in new engines cinematics crash my game. 1.1.44 works
- I used to have "the black areas problem" with new engines until 1.5 released. I only used 1.1.44
- 1.1.44 does not have AcceptEX, meaning it can't host ( invite AT either )
- you might not be able to watch the same cinematic twice in a row without booting the game
- I don't run the War3.app created by clicking itself. I run the Wineskin.app inside it, and I have it renamed & added to my dock. when I run it, I can choose whether I go fullscreen or windowed mode( Set screen options ), and I can choose the application I run in the advanced settings. there I got access to many other tools too. I just found it helpful to have easy access to these settings whenever I want through the dock. the only drawback to me seems to be that instead of starting the game by only clicking an icon, I run it by clicking the icon, choosing advanced & choosing test run.
- the site has a link to the "AppDB"(database). there you'll find instructions on how to install many windows apps, and you can ask questions from the community. make sure you read previous discussions first.
overall this system works fine, but it's kind of clumsy. would be better if we just had an installer for mac. as far as I understand, that is the only reason we can't play War3 on Lion. the game is universal, but the installer is PowerPC - outdated at the time of its release. I emailed about it to some employee & I was told a fix is planned, but they're using most of 2012 on the 3 new titles, so if this is ever fixed, it won't be this year.
Q u o t e: The installers won't run, but I copied the folder "Warcraft III" from the applications folder on my older Macbook running OSX 10.6 to my new MBA running 10.7 - and to my big surprise it actually runs!
The UI is almost black, and is missing some graphics when you're not in-game, but playing seems to work fine so far.
Same thing happens to me, but when I go in-game, my map for DotA goes completely black
I just got Warcraft 3 up and running with wineskin, works great, thanks! Tho you will have to change resolution in wineskin to basic: 800x600 (I think), also, you may need to try diff versions of wineskin if you want it to work prop. 1.5 as mentioned works fine for me! Good luck and have fun! :) /R.L