So Ive checked all over the place for a fix to this problem. Ive searched Battle.net, Youtube, a about a dozen gaming/computer help forums for a answer to this. Ive tried many things Ill list below. Blizzard just says "Windows 7 is not supported"... But theres a catch, a reason why Im still trying to fix this damn thing.
First off, heres my problem. I started up SC, connected to Bnet, and it says my account cannot be verified. I dunno why, Ive been playing with the same CD key for years. So I uninstall, and reinstall via bnet download file. After a few more unrelated common problems that I fixed, I got onto battle net, with my psychedelic color scheme.
Everything is good, and I decide to do something damn stupid, attempt to mess with the color problem. Two minutes later, when I start up SC, its in a 640X480 box in the middle of my screen surrounded by black. I didnt like this, and immediately attempted to change back the settings. But in short, its stuck like that.
- Ive reinstalled SC multiple times.
- Ive followedthis guys guide -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Wr55bpsBQ (but I only have 60)
- Ive attempted to change every single setting in game properties, and display properties, in every combination I can think of.
- Ive tried compatibility mode for every windows.
- Its set to admin permission
- Ive left up a number of windows during starting the game, display options, my computer, etc.
- Ive started SC while explorer.exe isn't running.
- Ive altered whatever settings in the ATI control center that seemed related.
Nothing has altered what the window ends up being. Even with my screen set to 800X600, SC still shows up surrounded by black.
Im on a Asus laptop using 64 bit windows 7 with a ATI 5870 hd. <---- The important part.
Now as someone has suggested for a fix with nvidia, you just change your aspect ratio stretch in the settings. This has fixed this exact same problem for me with previous computers. But I cant find settings within the ATI control panel. Though Im near positive they exist.
The reason why I have spent hours trying to fix this problem without giving up... My roommates computer is completely identical to mine, we've SC on them multiple times. Im looking at his full screen SC game going right now, on a computer exactly the same as mine. And Ive had it work in the past. It is possible, whether or not Blizzard says its supported. I just cant find the damn fix... Id greatly appreciate someone experienced with playing SC with a ATI to help out, or any other old school game... Or anyone with any suggestion, Im willing to try just about anything.