Q u o t e: I looked up JSP trading (Had never heard of it before), and I gotta say, I'm a bit confused. So from what I gather, basically you put up stuff for auction and people give you "Forum Gold", which is basically just a number next to your name on the jsp forums. Then you give the buyer of the item(s) the stuff in game and he clicks on the forum and you get some of his gold there.
Why on earth would people want forum gold? It seemed the only thing that you could use it for was getting signatures and change the color of your name on the forum. What would be so special about changing your name on that forum that you'd be willing to trade D2 items for...
Seems like an easy way for the owner of the forum and his friends to get free stuff in D2. Just secretly bump up the amount of forum gold they have and then bid on stuff...
Q u o t e: What I will concede about JSP is that currency makes transfers easier. That's why there's an auction house feature in Diablo 3. I find public trading to be a pain unless I'm offering something easy, like 40 pgems for an Ist Rune.
Main reasons why I don't like JSP:
1. It's too easy to scam and get away with it. All of the mods want tons of proof, and even if you have all of the proof needed, they'll almost always conclude "there's not enough evidence" and throw the case out of the window.
2. Forum Gold is "just another number". All "Paul" has to do is claim "omg forum software error/screwup", wipe a majority of the Forum Gold off of the forums, then "omg profit" when people go to buy all of it back. Sure, a majority of the forums would be ticked at him for it, but hey, it's an ingenious idea that I'm honestly surprised he hasn't tried yet just to squabble more money out of his users.
3. Large community based on Diablo II typically = lots of flamers, spammers, and trolls. All those people in public games who call everyone a "nub" at the drop of a hat, hostile everyone because they think they're better than everyone, blame lag when they get killed dozens of times, but then feel the need to sling hundreds of insults because they killed you once...yeah, all of those people are on JSP.
The only trades I'll do on JSP are item-for-item because I don't want to deal with the potential of getting scammed out of a worthless imaginary number, only to have the mods turn around and claim I don't have enough proof to prove the scam happened, or turn around again and never get reimbursed for my loss. Easier and less work to do item->item instead of item->imaginary number->item.
Heck, this season alone I found 80% of the stuff I needed for 2 characters on my own in 2 weeks before I resorted to in-game trading for the other 20%.
By Siouxdax regarding JSP:
Q u o t e: . . . a forum run by an idiot for idiots . . .